What's the difference between being needed and independence? To me, being needy and independent are polar opposites and cannot exist in one person.
I want my friends. I want to talk to, to listen to, to hang out with, to just be with. There are times that I feel I use my friends so much that I am not as independent as I believe I am.
While talking with a friend tonight, he referred to someone as independent and needy in the same sentence. And he was considering these positive traits to list.
I don't understand how you can be independent and needy at the same time. If you are independent, you handle things (whatever those things are) yourself. You don't rely on others to make those decisions and yet you know when to contact the professions to get the task done. You know that YOU are responsible for your happiness and don't rely on someone else to make you happy.
Being needy to me means that you can't accomplish stuff on your own. You can't make the decisions on your own. You NEED someone in your life who will handle your little corner of the world. You think you NEED someone in your life to make you happy and you are willing to bend to that persons wishes. You live to bend and turn yourself inside out to make that person happy. Even if you are not happy.
Maybe my perceptions of need and independence are screwed up. I don't NEED other people to take care of my little corner of the world (Professionals don't count, you need them). I can take care of my little world. I certainly don't need a man to do this for me. But I want a man who would be willing to share my world and make my world bigger by sharing his world with me.
Does this make me undesirable to the opposite sex? Is my independence scaring men off? What is it about the damsel in distress, "oh, I need to be rescued" woman that seems to attract all the guys?